Saturday, March 1, 2008

Equiano's

"The interesting life of Olaudah Equiano"
By Olaudah Equiano

"African slave traders tore him from his family when he was eleven. Thus began a series of worldly experiences not matched by many of the most cosmopolitan people -- let alone of an oppressed young black man."

Reflection:
I chose this passage because I find it to be an important piece of the narrative, it shows what Equiano was faced with. The main point of this passage was to inform others of his struggles and how he had to overcome them, also how he rebelled against slavery. I am angered that people would rip others away from their families only due to their skin color. Equiano conveys sorrow and pride, he does this by describing his horrific event of being separated from his family and pride because he contributes to anti- slavery. This reflects my life because at one point or another in everyones life, something will be taken from them that they held dear to their heart; I have had to encounter this but not to the extent of Equiano.

Dear Diary:
I have dreamt to see your face, to feel your touch and to hear your voice. Ever since I was a young boy, I have not been able to let go of our separation. Many times I think of you and wonder what it would be like to be a family again. We will reunite one day when we find peace among one another. If you could only see me now, you would be so proud; I am fighting against slavery and we will win Ma, I promise you that.

Essential Question:

Equiano’s life has been dedicated to finding this so- called “American Dream”. He has become intolerant during his search because he has encountered many upheavals that he has had to face. Due to his dedication Equiano recognizes that many have it worse then him, and he becomes appreciative of all that he has. He realizes that many do not know that others have similar issues as he does, so he begins to write so that others will know of his struggles which make them hopeful by providing them reference of how to beat these challenges. Due to Equiano’s actions he has helped the community overcome intolerance and has provided them hope that they may be in need of in order to achieve the American Dream.

1 comment:

Brittany Artale said...

I love the way that you expressed the meaing of this narrative. I alos like the photo that you chose, it added a scence of humor.