Friday, March 7, 2008

Sinners in the hand of an angry God

"Sinners in the hand of an angry God"
By Jonathan Edwards

"Another thing implied is, that they are liable to fall of themselves, without being thrown down by the hand of another; as he that stands or walks on slippery ground needs nothing but his own weight to throw him down."

Reflection:
I choose this passage because I felt that it was very meaningful. I thought this because it is you who is responsible for your life and actions; you should know where and where not to walk based on ones feelings and comfort. The main point of this section is that it is not always another being to pull you down, but it may be yourself that causes your own downfall. This piece represents Native America because many of the settlers were dependent on one another but in fact they needed to focus on bettering themselves; which ultimately betters their community. I fully agree with this passage due to it's representation of Native American society and today's society as a whole. A sense of self discipline is evoked throughout the piece. This is represented due to the fact that one must not always blame the superior for failure, but must take the responsibility upon themselves in order to become independent. This reflects my life because I have had several incidents where it was I who caused myself not to succeed.

Dear Diary:
I know that thy legs are able to keep me steady, but my emotions may not be. I do not obtain the courage to take on any fear that I may face. With your persuasion God, I will be able to accomplish any task that lie before me. If I cross the unstable path, I shall not make it, but with you by my side, I will have enough support to cross. It only takes one false step to make me slip.

Essential Question:
When there is a struggle within a community many become intolerant, but one must always remember that all things are a work of God and that it happens for a reason, demonstrated in Huswifery. Anne Bradstreet emphasizes the distance between a husband and wife and what impact it makes on the family and how it deters them from the American Dream. When conflict arises many seek blame, but it is not blame we should seek, it is acceptance and learning how to cope with the situation that is presented. While searching for the American Dream, you may have to overcome fear in order to obtain a better life, such as Plymouth Plantation, the settlers had to part with their families in order to find a better life and hope of success.


1 comment:

Brittany Artale said...

me and you interpreted that story very different. I still think you are focusing on the Native Americans when it is now the Puritans I think that is what made your reflection off. I think if you went back and changed it to Puritains your reflection would be very good. I also LOVE your picture.